Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Rainbow Death --- Task 1

This was a note written by Hubert Wilson that gives the reader some background information on him as well as the poem:

I am a Vietnam War veteran (as are my four brothers) who served in the USAF Security Service. I, along with a dozen or so intelligence school grads, prepped for about 14 months at Kelly AFB in San Antonio, Texas, before anticipating being sent to Vietnam or elsewhere in southeat Asia in 1970. About half ended up in Da Nang (an Agent Orange hotspot) in the 6924th Security Squadron. The rest of us were assigned to Shemya Island, Alaska, with the 6984th Security Squadron, and what eventually was a MORE contaminated environment than Da Nang!
My health problems started approximately 15 years ago with unexplained headaches and limb pains. Four years ago my central nervous system radically deteriorated with Parkinsonian type tremors, severe headaches, progressive limb pains, etc. No physician has ever diagnosed the specific illness. NO physician has ever rendered ANY medical assistance! My number one educated guess is the heavily contaminated drinking water at Shemya during my year there as an intelligence analyst. Organo-phosphate toxins may not run their toxic course until 20 to 30 years after initial exposure.

Since my brain still functions moderately well (and I have mobility issues), I have turned to writing just like my late Father and the late singer (and writer) Johnny Cash.


He basically served in the USAF security service and ended up in an Agent Orange hotspot, Da Nang. His health problems started after 15 years and he suspected the contaminated drinking water at Shemya. Since his brain was still working, he became a writer.

I feel that the main conflict in the poem is the "effects of Agent Orange spray". The poem
speaks of a modern day ingredient of warfare that has caused appalling death and suffering – not only to its intended victims, the Vietnamese people, but also the service personnel that used or even just came into contact with “Agent Orange”, just like Hubert Wilson himself. Chemical warfare can cause massive damage to everyone, including those innocent ones as there was a fearsome 500000 children born with defects. Agent Orange has caused someone totally not involved in the war to suffer as a result of the chemical.


References:

No comments:

Post a Comment